Here at the Singapore International Mediation Institute (SIMI), we take the protection of your privacy and personal data very seriously and we strive to comply with the personal data laws of Singapore.
SIMI will only collect, use, disclose and/or process your personal data in accordance with any such laws in Singapore, including the Personal Data Protection Act 2012, as well as the specific privacy terms in your agreement(s) with SIMI that you may contract with.
This privacy and personal data policy (“PD Policy”) sets out information to help you understand:
- How SIMI collects, use, discloses and/or processes the personal data that you may have provided to SIMI or that SIMI holds on you;
- The parties that SIMI may disclose your personal data to, and
- The process by which you may write to us to access or correct your personal data held by us, as well as to withdraw your consent for us to continue using and/or processing your personal data.
By continuing to use our website and any of the services provided through the website, we assume that unless you have otherwise informed us, you would have read and consented to the contents of this policy.
Type Of Personal Data Collected By SIMI
In order to process your inquiries, or to provide you with our various services, we may need to collect, use, disclose and/or process the following types of personal data, including but not limited to :
- Information identifying and/or establishing your identity and background;
- Information identifying and/or establishing the identity and background of parties to a mediation session record submitted by you,
- Information that will enable us to receive and/or process payments made by you with regard to any applicable fees under our services and/or schemes.
- Any other information provided by you when you submit an application for any of our services and/or schemes.
How SIMI Will Collect Personal Data
SIMI may obtain personal data on you or other parties from a variety of sources, including but not limited to :
- When you submit such information to us as part of your relationship with SIMI (e.g. completion of mediator’s profile or submission of private mediation session record for verification);
- Through verbal or written communication between yourselves and SIMI;
- From third parties connected with you, such as the organisation that you provide your mediator services to, or that you conduct mediation training for, or where you had attended a mediation training course, or parties for whom you had acted as a mediator, and
- From any other sources where you had provided your consent to disclose information relating to yourself and/or where such information about you is not otherwise restricted under Singapore’s personal data protection laws.
How SIMI Will Use Your Personal Data
SIMI may use your personal data for one or more of the following purposes :
- To assess your application(s) for our services;
- To attend and respond to your queries and/or complaints;
- To manage your relationship with us as a SIMI Mediator under the SIMI Credentialing Scheme;
- To improve our services and schemes;
- To notify you about any changes to our services, schemes or any other aspect of our operations;
- To manage the security and/or archival process for SIMI’s databases;
- To update, consolidate and/or improve the accuracy of our records;
- To create and/or produce reports and/or statistics that will anonymise and/or aggregate your personal data in a manner that cannot identify you as an individual;
- To organise any seminars, symposiums, competitions or any other outreach event that we may organise and to provide you with information about the same;
- For educational and research purposes related to the further development of
- To comply with any audit, compliance and/or risk management requirements;
- To protect, enforce or exercise our rights to recover any debt owing to us, and/or
- For any other purpose that may be required or permitted by any law, regulation, guideline or relevant regulatory authority.
SIMI will obtain your consent before using your personal data for a purpose other than those set out in this PD Policy and/or otherwise stated in any specific agreement(s) and/or documents governing your relationship with SIMI.
Who SIMI Will Disclose Your Personal Data To
In the course of providing you with SIMI’s services and/or schemes, SIMI may be required or need to disclose personal data about you to the following third parties :
- Companies and/or organisations who act as our agents, affiliates and/or otherwise act in a capacity as a professional adviser to SIMI;
- Companies and/or organisations who will assist us in processing and/or otherwise assisting us in providing you with the services and/or schemes that you have requested, including the International Mediation Institute;
- Any financial institutions, credit card merchants, stored value facility providers (e.g. PayPal) connected to the payment and/or collection of fees owing by you to us;
- Any person(s) and/or organisation(s) whom you have authorised to provide your personal data on your behalf;
- Any other party connected to the enforcement and/or preservation of our rights under your agreement(s) and/or relationship with us, and/or
- Any other party authorised to collect personal data from us by law.
Please note that the above-mentioned third parties may in some cases be located outside of Singapore.
Security Of Your Personal Data
SIMI is committed to regularly reviewing its security measures pertaining to your personal data. Our employees are trained to be aware of and to report any potential lapse in security relating to your personal data.
Your visit to SIMI’s website may be recorded for analysis on the number of visitors to the site and general usage patterns. We may gather some of this information through the use of “cookies”, which are small parcels of information that may be automatically stored on you web browser and can be retrieved automatically by our website. Should you wish to disable these cookies you may do so by changing your browser’s settings. However, do note that in doing so you may be unable to access certain part(s) of our website.
Revisions To PD Policy
This PD Policy may be revised at SIMI’s discretion from time to time. Notice of any revision will be provided on SIMI’s website and/or by any other means of communication as deemed appropriate by SIMI.
Contacting SIMI On Personal Data Queries And Requests
If you have any queries relating to :
- How we collect, use, disclose and/or process your personal data；
- Requesting for access to or correction of your personal data held by us, or
- If you wish to withdraw your consent for us to continue using and/or processing your personal data,
Please contact our Data Protection Officer at following:
||SIMI Data Protection Officer
||469G Bukit Timah Road
Eu Tong Sen Building
Please address your query to the “SIMI Data Protection Officer” and quote “PDPA Query” in your subject header.